Wednesday, September 5, 2012

WIP PLANNING EDITION

Well I'm feeling rather unproductive in terms of sewing projects. But alas, I have a list of excuses, stay-cation, redecorating, start of school, waiting for fabric and knitting. They all have gotten in the way of quilting.

I am however about to cut into this Star Wars fabric to go into the newly decorated boys room.


Here are my plans for their quilts. I want it to have a comic strip feel instead of doing chunky blocks. The plan is to stagger the top four fabrics in 24" x 36" pieces and 24" x 18" pieces with 1.5" strips in between. (Three rows of 24" x 54", makes about a 54" x 75" quilt) I feel like it's a lot of black though. Do you think I should use black as the strips or Kona Lagoon? I was thinking of using black for the strips and Lagoon as the binding but naturally, I'm second guessing myself.


I'm using the yellow/black Star Wars fabric and the solid yellow for the back. Or then again the yellow might look good as the strips in between the big prints....decisions....decisions...

Would love some input.

This Friday I'm going the Wisconsin Quilt Expo in Madison. Hopefully I'll find some good fabric. In any case, the company will be good!

Linking up!

6 comments:

  1. i have some of this fabric on my shelf too and have yet to do anything with it. my son loved the one with the death star (?) but its so black! i like your idea of the comic book though, but i think of white. too much contrast or too literal for you? i'd do a solid though...can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I would stick with your original plan and use black as the sashing. That way the Star Wars print will be more evident in the quilt. Using the Lagoon as the binding will look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about a really nice grey like the Medium Grey or Iron? I think the comic strip is a cool idea. I'm kinda hoping I have a boy so I can also make a Star Wars quilt for him...just hope it's still in print by then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grey would work too, thanks! I feel ya on the two same sex kiddos. We have no pink in our house and I love so many girlie fabrics!

      Delete
  4. How about making the sashing in one of the brighter colours seen in the star wars fabric - the blue, yellow or even red, maybe? Good luck, I look forward to seeing the finished quilt:)

    ReplyDelete