Wednesday, January 11, 2012

WIP and a few finished

It's Wednesday, although it feels like Thursday to me. Glad I have another day to get stuff done!

This week I've been completing projects for the birthday boy. I finished my Thomas quilt and it turned out pretty well. I tried to do continuous binding (after a discussion at my guild meeting) and it worked, but since I only needed 1/2 yd of fabric, the square I had to cut was only 18" resulting in seams that were way too close together to use. There would have been considerable bulk around those seams. Instead, I found some blue fabric in my stash to use and I actually like how it looks better than the original blue color. Quilting this on my new machine was a dream! It practically flew through the machine on it's own. Thanks to the wide arm I really didn't have to roll the sides so I didn't have any shoulder strain. Talk about paying for itself....



The art smock I made actually ticks one off the resolution list for this year...to make more clothing. It was super easy and I learned how to work with vinyl. I got this vinyl at a local childrens designer's warehouse sale. They use this for making a mackintosh so it's satiny on the inside. That means no need to finish the seems, thankfully! My good friend, a much more experienced sewer than I, suggested the vinyl AND warned me to use wax paper around the vinyl so it wouldn't stick to the feed dogs. INVALUABLE tip there! Then you simply tear away the wax paper as if you were paper piecing. Pretty neat. Here is the birthday boy modeling it for me. Super glad he wasn't scared of it. You know how goofy kids can be! Now we'll be able to use all the cool art supplies his aunties got him for Christmas.



Immediately on deck is to make the b-day boy some bunting for the house. Can you tell we are going to have a Thomas themed party? I shall be cutting this up later this evening. I came up with a great idea for it, I can't wait to execute it and show you later.


Also on deck is to start Oh Fransson's QAL to finally make the hubby a quilt. He requested a foot flap so he can tuck his feet into it whilst he's on the couch. Anyone have any idea on how to make that? The rest of the fabric should be arriving tomorrow, post soon to come. I'm also anxiously awaiting my coveted Kona color card!!!! I might tackle the UPS guy tomorrow.

I received my I-Spy Spoonflower fabric today and it's amazing. I can't wait to start a plan for that quilt. I'll be doing a little QAL with some local friends so we have to decide what we are going to do soon.

No progress on my Dead Simple quilt, Starry Seuss quilt or my BOM quilt. But in terms of UFO's that's not too bad.

TTFN, I'm linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced!
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my boys would love your son's Thomas quilt! I got my I-Spy fabric back today and honestly it has been so long since we sent it in, that it took a while for me to figure out what was in the package! The quillow that I made for my son has a pocket on it that could function like a foot warmer, maybe you could check out Nova's tutorial and see if that would work for you. I don't think it would be too hard to modify it for a different size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toni! The idea of the quillow is awesome and the pocket could definitely work for feet.

      Delete
  2. The Thomas quilt is adorable! Bummer about the continuous binding! But yeah, seams every 18" would be a bit much! Also, be sure to press your seams open when making it, that leads to much less bulk. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete