Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Before I begin, first I must finish



Today I finished a play-mat I've been working on for my 8 month old. He doesn't really like to be put down yet, so I'm not sure how much he'll use it, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I tried a couple of new "techniques," including embroidery and piecing a quilt back. I struggled a bit with piecing the back as I think very mathematically and therefore wanted a more specific pattern to follow. I swear I could feel my brain's wheels grinding as I tried to figure out how to put my scraps together to piece this back! Phew, it's done, and it turned out ok.


I found this pattern in "Dare to Be Square Quilting" by Boo Davis. I should also note that I did not bind this quilt traditionally. I really dislike hand sewing the binding, instead I adapted a technique my mother-in-law taught me. Basically you fold over the backing and machine stitch through your entire quilt. I had to adapt this idea a little because I quilted diagonal lines, it's a bit easier if you free motion quilt, but I'm totally not there yet. In any case, it still looks clean, neat and is really fast! If anyone is interested in this technique, maybe I'll do a tutorial in the future.

Now that this project is done (I'm a little anal about completing projects), I can start the Summer Sampler QAL blocks. If only I could make fabric choices more quickly...




0 comments:

Post a Comment